Monday, March 30, 2009

Decluttered My Desk

It is hard to say whether I am an organized person or not. I am fairly meticulous about details, but my desk ended up like this recently.
送信者 for gacooh
Originally, I was thinking of adjusting the height of the desk and considering to replace my office desk. My research was to use Flickr to get ideas by searching "office desk" tags. I came across a very clean desk with a computer.
Office Desk Setup CC by tomas carrillo
A blog post refers another attempt: "Declutter Your Desk by Van Mardian". It looked like a doable and cheap solution to me. So, I decided to do it as my weekend project (and I forgot the original attempt of buying a new desk!).
The cable mess
I've purchased a peg board, cable ties, and shackles from OSH and Home Depot, and put most of the devices to the peg board. Physical work wasn't hard, but figuring out an suitable layout was. My first attempt was not optimal but I just line the devices up and it worked out okay. It has two cable taps, a cable modem, a wifi router, a network hub, a skype phone base, two external hard drives, an usb hub, and a usb audio output.
送信者 for gacooh
I flipped the desk back and connected a bunch of cables, and it looks quite well. The USB hub and audio jack are accessible from the front.
送信者 for gacooh
送信者 for gacooh
Most of the clutters were just needed to be cleaned up, but there were also a couple of things on the desk such as an USB audio, external hard drives, and an USB hub. They actually made the desk look cluttered even if I cleaned up. I'm satisfied with the improvement. There are still things under the desk and it is clear that they needs to be tidied up. It sounds a lot easier task as most of the stuff has been already handled.
送信者 for gacooh
送信者 for gacooh

No comments: